Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Who is X?

It is widely accepted that even though the person who leaked the identity of Valerie Plame has not been publicly named, Patrick Fitzgerald knows who it is. And this has lead to plenty of speculation on who X is. Here is my theory.

I have no evidence for this guess. I have no inside connections and I am certainly not the source any admininstration leaker would choose to use. I'm just a working stiff from Oregon sitting at the keyboard and letting loose the occasional political insight. So this is purely speculation on my part.

I would not be the least bit surprised if X turns out to be John Bolton. Or someone closely associated with Mr. Bolton like an aide. His name has been bandied about throughout this investigation, but certainly not to the extent that Libby and Rove have been. I suspect this is because Libby and Rove were less than forthcoming in their original grand jury testimony and had to be brought back repeatedly to further enlighten the grand jury. Bolton has testified to the grand jury, and it very well could be the case that he just out and said what happened. There would then be no need to call him back repeatedly and his profile in the case would not be so high.

This type of activity doesn't seem so far fetched if we consider the case. John Bolton has been described as Dick Cheneys enforcer in the State Department. When he couldn't strong arm the neocon agenda at the State Department, he was used to spy onthe activities of those around him. There is no doubt that Cheney and his staff were highly interested in the Joe Wilson affair. And another interesting tidbit is that Bolton visited Judy Miller while she was in jail.

Once again I will close with a disclaimer. If it turns out Bolton is not Mr. X, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm just taking a shot in the dark and if I miss my mark it would not be the 1st or last time.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]