Monday, February 13, 2006

Just freaking admit it!!

According to The Hartford Courant
the spokesperson for vice president Dick Cheney had the following comment about the accidental shooting of one of Mr. Cheney's hunting partners:
"The vice president was concerned," said Mary Matalin, a Cheney adviser who spoke with him Sunday morning. "He felt badly, obviously. On the other hand, he was not careless or incautious or violate any of the [rules]. He didn't do anything he wasn't supposed to do."
Why is this administration so terrified of admitting to making any mistake, even when it is crystal clear that a mistake has been made. There simply is no way to deny that the shooter in a hunting accident bears fault. It does not matter how the victim was behaving prior to being shot. If the shooting is accidental, the shooter made a mistake... PERIOD!

Now before you take off on me wondering where the heck I get off being a liberal but standing up on my stump to denounce Mr. Cheney over a gun accident let me tell you a bit about my gun experience. I was raised in Montana, and was exposed to guns all through my childhood. I took the hunters safety course required at the time for all underage would be hunters in the state. My dad drummed gun safety into my malleable little brain. So when it comes to the "gun culture" I know a bit about it.

There is simply no excuse, and I mean NO excuse for an accidental hunting shooting. If some nut were to don antlers and crawl about the brush with a deer hide on his back, that would not be accidental, that would be suicide. But someone separating from the group then being shot is by definition a mistake on the part of the shooter. A safe hunter KNOWS what he is shooting at before they pull the trigger and that's that.

Now do not get me wrong here. I fully believe there was no malicious intent on the part of Mr. Cheney. This was a true hunting accident and that happens hundreds of times every year.

But for the vice presidents spokesperson to deny that he made a mistake when he mistakenly shoots someone on a hunting trip is just asinine. It is concrete proof that even when a mistake is evident for the entire world to see that this administration is not capable of admitting it. This truly is pathetic.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]