Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pace on Rumsfeld: Holy Warrior.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace defended the leadership of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld by saying the following :
"He leads in a way that the good Lord tells him is best for our country,"
I always get nervous whenever someone tells me that a leader is being led by God. Even if I agree that a leader is doing wonderful things and I agree with them up and down the line, I hesitate to ascribe divine guidance to that leader. The fact is that he or she is human, and at some point they will assuredly fall short. When that happens I don't believe God is to blame for the downfall and ought not be drug into the mud through no fault of his/her (Gods) own.

What really gets me though is when people ascribe divine purpose to leaders who are self evident disaster zones in our national experience. If Rumsfeld is being guided by God, how is it that Rumsfeld incorrectly told the nation that he knew the precise location of Saddams non existent weapons of mass destruction just days into the war? How is it that a divinely guided Rumsfeld told our service members in Aviano Air base that the war was not liable to last more than six months? God told Rummy to disband the Iraqi army? Not send in enough troops... accept torture of military detainees leading to one of the biggest black eyes to American standing in our history... act like an arrogant fool to anyone who tried to open his eyes... I mean the list goes on and on! Watch Woodward talk about his book. This is a disaster of biblical scope, and we are to believe that the architect of our plan there is led by God?

Pace might think Rummy is some kind of 'Holy Warrior', but when I consider Rummy and what he has wrought all I think is 'Holy Crap'!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]