Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hey Beck: I am the enemy

One of the most famous scenes in the history of film is from the movie Spartacus. After the slaves have been defeated the might of Rome is represented by the centurion who demands to know of the vanquished prisoners which of them is Spartacus. The famous scene has all of the slaves claiming to be Spartacus rather than giving their leader over to a slow and painful death.

I am reminded of this because of the line of questioning used by Glen Beck on newly elected Representative Keith Ellison. Representative Ellison is the first Muslim ever elected to Congress. Beck goes right for the jugular with this question:
BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I -- you know, I think it's being hijacked, quite frankly.

With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."
Let there be no mistake. Mr. Ellison is indeed the enemy Mr. Beck. As am I. As is Keith Olbermann. As is Markos Mousilitas and Arriana Huffington and Howard Dean. As are millions upon millions of other well informed, reasonable, non koolaid drinking, people who do not see things your way Mr. Beck.

We are not the enemy who wants to blow you up, or terrorize you into giving up your freedoms. We are the enemy who refuse to blindly accept wrong headed leadership that drags our nation into needless war. I and those who agree with me by the millions reject and fight against the use of torture in our names. We stand for constitutional principles that your leaders, Mr. Beck, wish to dispense with in the name of fear. We fight the fear you and your leaders foster each election season. We stand against blindly questioning the loyalty and patriotism of a Muslim simply because his politics do not comport to our own.

Truth be told, I believe full well that Beck and those who have his point of view consider Mr. Ellison, me, and those who agree with us, to be more of a danger to themselves than terrorists ever will really represent. These wingnuts are smart. They realize the chance of them actually being killed by a terrorist as they talk to the camera or sit at the keyboard are less than being struck by lightening as you are being stabbed through the heart by a stingray during a lunar eclipse. But Ellison, me and the rest of us are trying to destroy their carefully constructed right wing fantasy world. So yes Mr. Beck... I am the enemy.

Indeed Mr. Beck, with the Bush record on terrorism, (exploding membership in Al Qaeda, inflaming the Arab world against us, not catching Osama when he was there to be had, starting a needless war that detracted from the true war on terror, and the list goes on and on) I think the question you are asking may better be directed to your side of the political divide. Every election brings us a campaign of fear that Al Qaeda would be proud to sponsor, to the point that their leaders are prominently featured in your cause celebre commercials. The monolithic support both internationally and domestically for our cause in this struggle immediately following 9/11 has been burned to ashes by the bellicose nature of President Bush. This support is absolutely crucial to success in this struggle. I believe the case could be made that President Bush should be considered the top recruiting agent for Al Qaeda's Washington D.C.'s branch.

So yes Mr. Beck... I am the enemy. I will do everything politically feasible to stop the disastrous slide this President and those who carry his water such as yourself and the pathetic Mr. Limbaugh have started this great nation down.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]